Saturday, June 4, 2011

African Americans bias towards dark-skinned women

This is a 9-minute trailer for the upcoming documentary Dark Girls, which explores the deep-rooted biases and attitudes about skin colour within Black American culture. 

As an outsider, I was unaware of the discrimination that goes on within the Black community towards darker skinned women. I was shocked and saddened to learn that Black women judge other Black women on the darkness or lightness of their skin. One woman in the video says, "If I had a little girl, I didn't want her to be dark. I remember saying that. I didn't want her to be dark like me." 

The film is due for release in the Fall or Winter of 2011. Follow Dark Girls Movie on Facebook to stay updated.


Dark Girls: Preview from Bradinn French on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment