Saturday, August 14, 2010

Beyoncé calls herself a feminist!

From an article in the Daily Mail (UK):

If Beyoncé has been cautious in the past about exposing her real persona to the public gaze, she has had no such fears, I point out, in revealing her true physical self. Bucking the size-zero trend and championing a move towards ‘bootylicious’... she is, I suggest, one of the few really positive role models for young girls. Not just because of her own body (up close, she is magnificent yet still somehow real) but also because of the strong, independent female messages of her lyrics.



"I think I am a feminist in a way. It’s not something I consciously decided I was going to be; perhaps it’s because I grew up in a singing group with other women, and that was so helpful to me. It kept me out of so much trouble and out of bad relationships. My friendships with my girls are just so much a part of me that there are things I am never going to do that would upset that bond. I never want to betray that friendship because I love being a woman and I love being a friend to other women."
How cool is that? I only wish more awesome female celebrities and musicians would use the "f-word" without fear or shame. I agree with the authour of this article - Beyoncé does seem to be a good role model for young women. And I totally agree with Beyoncé that feminism keeps women out of trouble and out of bad relationships! Because when you respect and love yourself, you won't let other people shit on you.



Yay, Beyoncé!

No comments:

Post a Comment